PR Case Study for the Toronto Fall Home Show
2014 Media Relations Campaign
September 18-21, 2014
Ashworth Associates was approached by the Fall Home Show to develop a creative, proactive public relations media campaign to help publicize the Fall Home Show and garner advance coverage of the show, as well as on site coverage during the event from Thursday, September 18 to Sunday, September 21, 2014
Through a targeted approach with Toronto lifestyle, design and décor, home, renovation and business media Ashworth Associates worked to increase awareness of the Fall Home Show.
Ashworth Associates responsibilities for the Fall Home Show included:
- Creating awareness of the Fall Home Show through a targeted media relations campaign.
- Positioning the Fall Home Show as being not only a great place to discover tips from experts in home décor and renovation, but as a great place to shop at some of Canada’s leading retailers and find some great new innovations.
- Creating a press kit about the Fall Home Show.
- Writing and distributing daily media releases that show highlights for each day.
- Targeting and pitching editors from a comprehensive press list covering life, design & décor, home, regional magazines, newspapers, broadcast and internet outlets.
- Developing compelling angles for different media sectors.
- Coordinating ticket giveaways with media outlets and on air promotion opportunities
- Ashworth Associates has an extensive media list that includes television, radio, cable, magazines, newspapers and online journalists and tailor-made a media list the Fall Home Show to target the right lifestyle, design & décor, home, business and feature editors.
Media materials for the Fall Home Show included:
- Long lead media release for listings
- General media release on the Fall Home Show (with more details on specific areas as they became confirmed)
- Habitat for Humanity Upcycle Challenge: Stylized release
- Stage Schedule release
- Daily highlight releases to be distributed on site each day of the event
- Hi res jpeg images of speakers, general reno and décor shots and Upcycle Challenge items
All media releases were emailed to the media and accompanied by hi-res images. Media were also given access to our FTP site for more images. Media materials for the Fall Home Show were also posted to various online outlets.
Ashworth Associates was in constant contact with the media to ensure maximum coverage for the Fall Home Show and provided the media with regular updates of media materials and schedules.
Ashworth Associates coordinated ticket giveaways with key media outlets leading up to the event including Country 600 Radio, KiSS 100.5, KiSS 105.3, Proud FM, Black Sebath Blog, CP24, What She Said, Breakfast Television, as well as providing team members of the shows who were doing advance coverage with complimentary tickets to attend the show. Peter also held Twitter contests for ticket giveaways leading up to the show.
The Fall Home Show was a success and was widely covered by media in all areas including magazine, newspaper, television, radio and online.
Advance print coverage included articles from various key players in the Toronto Sun, the Toronto Star, New Home Guide, On the Go Magazine and New Condo Guide.
Listings for the show appeared in various outlets such as NOW, Active Adult, Epoch Times, Canadian House and Home, SNAPD Queen/Waterront, Tonic Toronto, Reno & Decor, the National Post and Where Toronto.
The Canadian Press did a feature on Miss Mustard Seed that was picked up by some publications across the country.
Advance television coverage was a key factor in ensuring the success of the Fall Home Show with some outlets providing us with multiple hits. Key media support came from such programs as CityLine, CHCH, the Global Morning show, Canada AM and a brief mention on CP24 Breakfast for ticket giveaways.
There were a number of radio hits for ticket giveaways and mentions on shows including PROUD FM, Country 600, KiSS 100.5, KiSS 105.3, What She Said, 680 News, CHFI, Boom Radio, Zoomer Radio and Newstalk 1010.
Representatives from Ashworth Associates set up the media room on September 17, the day before the show, and were on site bright and early September 18 for the Breakfast Television shoot, as well as the morning of September 19 for the CP24 shoot. Representatives were also on site throughout the entire show to handle media requests and on site media as well as to tend to the separate media entrance door.
Daily Highlights media releases were distributed electronically from the media centre each morning and hard copies were available in the media centre.
The Ashworth Associates team took shots from the floor and tweeted highlights and show schedules throughout the Fall Home Show.
Media coverage resulted in a total of 211,622,217 impressions and a PR Value of $2,174,082.